Artifact research and descriptions by Jean Oplinger
With images from Farmington Public Library
In "days of yore" the local library served as more than just a building with books. It was the cultural hub of the town. It was a place for service-oriented societies to meet, it served as a gathering space for citizens with common cultural concerns, and it was considered to be the repository of items of historic significance. Farmington's Public Library was indeed the cultural hub of the town of Farmington as well. When the money was raised to build the "new" library building, one of the architectural features was a vault where items deemed valuable and irreplaceable by Farmington's citizens could be housed. Here is merely a sampling of the variety and depth of Farmington Public Library's archives. Be sure to click on each item to read a detailed description.
- Farmington Social Library, Regulations, ca. 1900
- Invitation, Farmington, 1903
- Flora Brooks, Lying in Repose, 1922
- Jacob Abbott and Fewacres, Farmington, 1903
- Farmington Public Library, 1916
- SEE NOTES "Jaffery" a new novel. Publisher's promotion postcard.
- Cutler Memorial Library dedication, Farmington, 1903
- Arts Study Club Program, Farmington, 1930-1931
- Fair souvenir, Farmington Public Library, 1890
- Library share certificate, Farmington Library Association, 1865
- Hotel Willows, Farmington, ca. 1910
- Farewell appearance of Lillian Nordica, London, ca. 1913
- SEE NOTES "John Bunyon's Dream Story". Publishers promotional postcard. 1913.
- SEE NOTES "What the book said to the Boy". Library bookmark.
- Lillian Nordica, Farmington, ca. 1911
- Mildred Thomas and Harold Sawyer, ca. 1910
- Four sons of Jacob Abbott, Farmington, ca. 1865
- Cutler Memorial Library, Farmington, 1903
- Ladies' Third Annual Banquet, Farmington, 1893
- SEE NOTES Ladies Third Annual Banquet. Farmington, Maine. 1893. Menu.
- SEE NOTES Ladies' Third Annual Banquet. Farmington, Maine. 1893. Back cover.
- Julia Harris May poetry collection, 1903
- Madame Nordica concert poster, ca. 1897
- Life membership certificate, Farmington Public Library Association, 1917